My passion is to help women become Godly, effective, servant-leaders - whether in a full time ministry situation, as a volunteer serving in ministry or in a leadership role in the workplace.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Swing Thoughts

A friend asked me a great question recently. She is struggling in her leadership these days and although I would like to help, I wasn't sure how I could.

So she asked me this question: "What is your “swing thought” when you walk through the doors every morning for work? In golf they tell you not to carry more than three thoughts with you to the tee."

I've never played golf but I love this question. According to the internet, swing thoughts are those short catch-phrases someone plants into your mind with the idea that you're supposed to remember it and still make contact with the ball. "Keep your head down." "Straighten out the elbow." "Don't open up the hips too early."

Apparently there are also positive swing thoughts that will keep you motivated and optimistic throughout your round of golf, making for better scores (and lower blood pressure I assume). There is even a company that manufactures tees with tiny positive 'swing thoughts' printed on them.

I thought it was going to be a hard question to answer, but quickly realized that I do carry about 3 thoughts with me as my day begins. And I decided that there is something to this idea that just as too many thoughts in our head can skew a golf swing - too many thoughts and/or agendas can skew our ministry and drain us of the joy of serving.
I believe much of what makes us effective and joyful in our ministry is what kind of swing thoughts we carry with us as we approach our service each day.

Here is what I wrote to her:

It starts before I approach the tee with my attitude (what I believe) about that ball and whether my whole identity is wrapped up in that ball and the “shot” that I will make today. So, I give myself permission to fail, but not the permission to only give 50% of my best effort to the shot.

As I walk in the doors (approach the tee) I am thinking:

  • "What is on my task list today?"
  • "How realistic is it that I will get all that done? (I give myself permission to not complete it)"
  • “How interruptible can I be today to serve people around me and still accomplish what’s essential on my list?”

This third thought is huge for me because I completely believe that what He has for me to do today may have nothing to do with what's on my job description or my to-do list. God may have completely other purposes for me in this day and in this ministry.

What's your swing thought each day?







1 comment:

Jenn said...

Great analogy -- thanks for the advice! I'll have to ponder what my swing thought is...I'm not sure I have one which explains why my swing is all over the page! :)